Tuesday, June 6, 2006

Day 3 - "The Sojourn Where For One Day I Did Absolutely Nothing"

When I awake on Day 3, I am still in almost the exact same position I was in when I fell asleep. My knees are slightly bent, and I awake (quite late) feeling completely refreshed. Completely. So much so, in fact, that I forget entirely that I am burnt in the first place. This leads me to get out of bed as if I were a young, spry pole-vaulter...

I prep, stretch my arms above my head and swing my legs out of the bed in one fluid motion. I maintain that it would have been a very graceful maneuver, had it not been for the fact that as soon as I had my legs planted on the ground, I yelped and promptly fell back on the bed.

Guess I don't heal from burns as fast as I had hoped. I should have remembered that from last fall when I burnt the crap out of my left arm and spent weeks agonizing over it.

Needless to say, Day 3 is gonna be an indoor day from the looks of things, which is fine, I have a few things that I can do around the area that don't require being under the radius of that huge ball of flame.

Now when I had showered the night before, the burn hadn't set in yet, so the pain was minimal.... but this shower was destined to be quite possibly the most painful part of this trip. So I mentally prepare myself to face this beast (because I can't leave my house in the morning without showering... its a given fact that anyone who knows me must accept) and step into the mouth of hell. Which sucks. Really really sucks.... but I come out clean, and a bit proud of myself for not bawling like a child, and I prepare to go for a stumble around the block to the promenade again for some food, and my favorite activity, a movie!

I eat... fairly good mexican food... walk around for a bit while trying to decide what movie to see. Right now its up between the Davinci Code (which I have heard nothing but godawful things about but still kinda want to see) and The Break Up (which, as my friend Sherri put it, might be a bit "too topical" for me right now). Hm.... "bad" or a "different type of bad"? There's always MI-3, but Tom Cruise scares the fuck out of me right now and I don't know if I want to add "scary bad" to the mix. Everything else is even worse... if given free tickets to that stupid gymnastics movie, I'd wipe my ass with them. Guess I'll do Davinci... bring on the wooden acting and over-simple plot devices.

And yes... I am the only person in the entire theatre.

Its bad enough going to movies alone when newly single, they remind you that holding someone's sweaty popcorn-grease smelling hand can kinda be romantic. More so than suntan lotion at least (see Day 2). But going to a movie alone, when newly single, and there is nobody else in the entire theatre? That, dear friends, is a new kind of torture that is only lessoned by the constant throbbing of engorged knee-backs. Now I suddenly know why I am burnt.... it is to distract my mind from feeling stupid in a theatre by myself. Then again, without the burn I wouldn't have even been there. Chicken - egg: egg - chicken. Whatever. Least I got to see the movie that has been billed by some sites as "ludicrous," "a terrible movie," "crushingly dull," and my personal favorite "a movie thats too stupid to appreciate its own stupid origins, and so it takes itself completely seriously. The stupider things get, the more seriously the movie takes itself, and the more seriously it takes itself, the funnier it is. The movie isnt content with its own stupidity it actively assumes that the audience is operating on a simian mental level." Can't wait to see this one! Bring it on!

So yeah, I see it.... and yeah, at points it is pretty bad, but at other points its okay. When asked by my aforementioned friend how it was, I believe my exact text message states "Movie was alright. Not amazing but worth seeing. Sorta. I dunno." That about sums it up.

Home I hobble... to a pack of raw almonds, a six pack of beer (to cope with burn pain, of course) and a fresh desire to write. And write I do... hence the blogs begins. When done, and slightly tipsy, I hobble back out to a restaurant called the Beanery and have a great meal, a pretty crappy beer, and a cute waitress who tries to be nice to me and help me figure out the menu which is 9 million pages long (I sweat to you they had at least 50 different types of burgers alone). Annnnnddddd I'm done, annnnnddddd I'm tired, annnnnnndddd I wander home.... where after a bit of email stuff, I crash.

But I crash happy, because although I accomplished absolutely nothing today, I am still on the other side of the country, talking with interesting people, in a great city, and I have done this on my terms. So yeah. Word.

Coming Soon.... debauchery, significant monetary gain, temperatures that can roast your brain juices, huge blood hounds, Dawson's Creek (yes, I said it, Dawson's Creek), the inevitable strip club, and what might be the biggest news yet.... no more bitching about the sunburn.

No comments: